With week 4 coming to a close, I’m almost getting to the point in training where the SOS (something of substance) runs are going to start. Tuesdays will be speed workouts, Thursdays will be tempo runs, and Saturdays will be long runs. And you know how I’m feeling about those? BRING IT! My first month of training has been solid and I’m feeling strong and motivated. I’m ready for those hard as sh*t workouts. Of course, I have to pick a goal pace so I know exactly how fast I’m going to have to run in those workouts. This coming week I have to make a command decision on what my goal is.
Just in case you forgot, I’m current training for Grandma’s Marathon in June using the Hanson’s Marathon Method training program, with a goal that is still TBD. I have found this bog helps with accountability – it’s much harder to skip a run when I know I have to fess up online at the end of the week. In addition to the blog, I post my daily workouts on Instagram. I also have linked up with other running blogs and reading about how other people are training and doing is also definitely helpful. I’m currently joining a linkup with Courtney and some other fellow runners in training for Spring/Summer races.
- Planned: Orangetheory workout + 4 miles – Easy Pace (between 10 – 11)
- Actual: Orangetheory workout with 17 Splat Points + 4 miles @ 10:15ish. I got one mile in as part of OT and got the remaining three doing runchtime errands. I really do spend a fair amount of time exercising, so combining it with my responsibilities is just good time-management.
- Planned: 3 miles – Easy Pace (between 10 – 11)
- Actual: 3.2 miles @ 10:30ish + Orangetheory workout with 18 Splat Points. They were doing a Tornado workout and that’s one of my favorites, so I caught an extra class. Miles were split between class and treadmill.
- Planned: Strength/Weights – 1 hour
- Actual: Strength/Weights – 1/2 hour. Forgot my sports bra – whoops! Working out in a regular bra just doesn’t work for my ladies.
- Planned: Rest Day
- Actual: I rested the hell out of this day.
- Planned: 4 miles – Easy Pace +Orangetheory workout + Strength/Weights (1/2 hour)
- Actual: 4.3 miles (multiple paces) + Orangetheory workout with 22 Splat Points + Strength/Weights for a full hour. This is the second Friday in a row I have taken on a tough day. Orangetheory was a strength day with hills (total of two miles at varying paces between 5.5 – 6.5 mph on 4 – 6 inclines), which I followed with 2.3 very easy miles on the treadmill, then did a full hour with my trainer in the afternoon. Seriously beast-mode kind of day – but it felt good!
- Planned: 8 miles – Easy Pace (between 10 – 11)
- Actual: 10 miles @ 9:58. Great pre-DC Rock and Roll run on part of the marathon course. It was fun to see mile 20 and not feel like dying! After this, we went on to cheer the runners at mile 11-ish. Such a fun day – it’s totally worth the sore throat I have right now.
- Planned: 5 miles – Easy Pace (between 10 -11) +Orangetheory workout
- Actual: 3 miles (2.1 @ 9:03 and .9 @ 10:00) + Orangetheory workout w/ est 16 Splat Points. I only needed two and a half miles to hit my weekly mileage goal. I knocked out a little over two before OT because I was confident that I’d get at least a half mile of running in during class. The OT app crapped out during class – so I had to estimate total based on how I was doing going into my tread segment.
- Mileage: 24 planned / 24.5 actual
- OT Workouts: 3 planned (min 36 Splat Points) / 4 actual (73 Splat Points)
- Strength/Weights: 2 planned / 2 actual
Mileage this Training Cycle To Date: 156.5 miles
This coming week I’ll be making a decision about my goal time. Since I’m running Chicago and Richmond in the fall, I’m thinking about making my goal a very modest PR with a focus on just trying to run this marathon at a steady pace and a negative split. Based on how I do, I’ll then focus on building my speed for one of my Fall races.
Still considering. Would love any advice or suggestions. Or just let me know what your current goals are and how/why you picked them.
Have a great week!