Hello, 40+ mileage week! I’d forgotten how tiring you are. It’s been hot as hell here, so it’s been a pretty dull treadmill-based week. I finished up Season 1 of Glow (soooo good) and also got through Season 1 of College Friends (also amusing) so at least I’m putting my Netflix to good use.
This is my weekly marathon training recap. I’m using the Hansons Marathon Method to train for the Chicago Marathon in October. This is my 4th marathon and second time using the Hanson’s training to prepare. I’m training for a 4:00 marathon this year, which is definitely a challenging goal for me (my current PR time is 4:32:36.)
- Planned: Rest Day
- Actual: Rest Day – Monday is not my normal rest day but had to change for this week.
- Planned: Speedwork – 12 x 400 @ 8:03 – 8:24 with 400 recovery
- Actual: 12 x 400 @ 8:19 for a total of 7.2 miles on the treadmill. Damn, I forgot how hard this workout is. Well, it’s hard because my speed pace is faster this year, but this workout in particular is mentally challenging because of the number of intervals. I primarily do my speedwork on the treadmill – even when it’s not a zillion degrees outside
- Planned: 4 miles @ 10:15 – 11:00
- Actual: 6 miles @10:45 – I’d had to cut my warm up/cool down mileage short on Tuesday due to time so I added a few more on. Did these on the tread and broke up the monotony with core work again.
- Planned – 5 mile tempo run + gym workout
- Actual – 4 miles @ 10:35 on the treadmill. This was the day that I broke my dog. Long story short, Roxy was jumping up to my lap and while attempting to stop her, I essentially knocked her down and she fractured all the bones in her foot. Fairly emotionally draining day – I’m glad I at least got some miles done. I essentially did my Friday instead.
- Planned: 7 miles @ 10:15 – 11:00
- Actual: 7 miles @ 10:49 on the tread. Since I didn’t have a long run on Saturday, I moved my tempo run to Sunday and my planned Sunday easy miles to today.
- Planned: 9 miles @ 10:15 – 11:00
- Actual: 9 miles @ 10:36 OUTSIDE WITH PEOPLE! Saturday running group was more welcome than usual, even though it was going to be hot and humid. I’d been on the tread all week and no gym workouts….being inside and alone isn’t fun. Had a great run through DC and Georgetown. My pre-run food this week was sweet-potato with a little grass-fed butter. Worked much better.
- Planned: 5 mile tempo @ 9:09
- Actual: 8 miles @ 9:53 with 3.5 @ 9:05 – I woke up on Sunday with some serious cramps. My monthly friend arrived and I was definitely not feeling like any kind of run, let alone an SOS run. I pushed myself up to the gym, ran my warm up mile and then kicked it up to 9:05. After running for about two minutes, I knew a full five mile tempo wasn’t in the cards for me. I finished the mile at tempo pace, slowed down and ran easy for bit. Then I thought I’d try a little more and kicked it back up to tempo pace. I ran that for about a half mile and then slowed down again for awhile. Then I thought I’d try a little more….well, you get the idea. I ended up doing tempo intervals – probably about three and a half miles at tempo pace. Not ideal, but considering how awful I felt, I was seriously just proud of myself for getting all the planned miles done.
How’s your training going? Are you dealing with the heat or do you spend more quality time with the treadmill?
Miles for the Week:
- Planned: 41
- Actual: 41.2
Miles this Training Cycle: 146.29
- Miles Week 5: 27.0
- Miles Week 4: 22.01
- Miles Week 3: 16.0
- Miles Week 2: 20.6
- Miles Week 1: 20.2