It’s time for the Friday Five! This is a blog link up that’s hosted by some fellow bloggers: my running bud Courtney, Mar on the Run and Cynthia. Definitely some blogs worth checking out over there for sure!
Happy Friday! Well, maybe it’s happy for you. I woke up this morning to get to an 7:00 AM PT appointment, which cut into to my morning run time (which is supposed to be a 5 mile tempo run) and on the way home, I started to not feel so good. A little nauseous, got a wicked headache and then a stress-attack. Am I getting sick? Will I be able to run today? Maybe I should run in the gym instead of outside? Have I run too many times in the gym this week? No wonder I got a headache!
I’m getting a little off track but I was trying to make a point. When I’m training for a marathon, I tend to focus all of my goals on my mileage (and now speed/tempo) goals for the week. All I worry about is making sure I get my training runs in. And while that’s certainly important, I don’t think the running should be the only thing I’m working towards and doing for myself. I’m feeling a little off-balance right now – that my life is just a series of runs, ice-baths, meals and sleep.
So, I’ve decided to set 5 goals for August that are not about marathon training. Granted, these probably aren’t going to be life-altering goals, because I don’t think I have the bandwidth to take on too much more right now. But hopefully this will balance things out for me. So my five goals for August:
- I will read at least 2 books – I know this seems a little lame but I don’t read anymore. I need to Netflix less and read more!
- I will post at least 4 non-running related blogs, focused on the paleo cooking that I do all the time, but I just never really plan well to capture, photograph and share what I’m doing. In my defense, it’s not as easy as you would think, but that’s no excuse. Or I’ll just post a bunch of pictures of my comically tiny dog, but I’m really going to strive for the former. Either way, I’d like to spend a little more time on the blog outside of weekly recaps.
- I will be able to fit into at least one of these dresses by the end of month. That’s between $700 – $800 of Elie Tahari that I can’t wear right now, and that bugs me.
- I will try at least one new “thing” in August. When I say “thing” – I mean some activity that I’ve never done before. For example, if I’d never jumped out a plane before – that might be a new “thing” that I tried. Thankfully, I’ve done that already but you get the idea. I just feel like I’m in a cycle of doing the same things over and over again and need to get out and try something different.
- I will go out on at least one date. I’m putting this last in the hope that my Mother doesn’t read this – because she’ll ask me about it every week. But this is something I need to at least try and get out there and do again. I keep saying that I’m going to and it just doesn’t every seem to happen. If I go out on a date, I plan to wear one of the dresses from Goal #3 and talk about at least one of the books I read in #1.
So, those are my 5 non-marathon training related goals for August. Do you ever feel like your life is only about training? What do you do to keep your life balanced? Do you keep any non-training goals for yourself?
Now, I’ve got to figure out what to do about my tempo run. ARGH!